Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lind's Update

Just 24 days until we leave for UGANDA!!!

     The past few weeks have been super busy for me- filled with lots of overtime work, battling a vicious cold all while trying to prepare for our big trip! I got all my vaccines today & met with an Infectious Disease MD to talk about the do's/dont's of traveling to Uganda, it was all very helpful information!

      I received my Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A & Polio vaccines (sorry did not videotape the shots like Judi did, she is braver then me haha & there was no one available to tag along!) & so far have not had any adverse effects from the shots. I'm sure my arms will be sore at work tomorrow! I will be starting Typhoid fever pills soon & Malaria pills start the day before we leave for our trip as well as daily for 4 weeks after we return. I have to admit I'm not really a big pill taker & I hate going to the doctor, (haha I know nurses are the worst when taking care of themselves) I barely take a multi-vitamin- so taking all these pills will be a big change for me- BUT its all totally worth it for this once in a lifetime experience!

I haven't had as much luck as Judi with finding culturally appropriate clothing to wear in Uganda, but I did find some great long skirts at Goodwill today for only $5 each! I would probably never wear the skirts I bought again- I'm not really a long skirt person, so I will probably just leave them there at the school for the kids to wear. I am also going to purchase a few soccer balls & other sports equipment from Zach's part-time job, Hibbetts Sports, to give to the children! Soccer is Uganda's national sport, I better start practicing my skills to compete with the kids in the village :)

Besides clothing, there's still alot of things I need to get for the trip- I have a list & am slowly checking things off one by one! I am thinking of purchasing a flip camcorder online to take along to capture all the memories via video or still photos.

We have our first offical meeting with the pastor & the missionary group this weekend; I am excited to finally meet everyone & learn more details about our upcoming trip!!

---> Picture of the medical supplies
Floyd Medical Center donated :)




No comments:

Post a Comment