Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's finally hitting me....

Just sitting here on the couch, relaxing after a long 13 hour day at work & I think reality is finally hitting me that I am actually going to Uganda in a few short weeks!! I spoke with my Nurse Manager today & got her permission to put up flyers/support letters up on our unit today & around the hospital, in hopes of support from my awesome co-workers/work family. I also have sent out many facebook messages to my fellow online friends; facebook really is a great way to get a hold of a mass amount of people in a short time period, so thank you facebook for all your help!

So it is all sinking inr that I am actually a member of this mission trip team & I have so many mixed emotions at this point- I am excited, nervous, happy & stressed all at the same time. But most of all I honestly I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to serve in Africa; I have been wanting to do this since nursing school! Just a few weeks ago I was actually filling out a ton of interest forms for various medical mission trips around the world & 5 days ago I learned I was actually going to finally be a part of an already organized mission trip!

Now I admit to being a procrastinator, I truly do work better under pressure for some insane reason & yes it is very overwhelming to appropriately prepare, meet all required deadlines and raise enough money for this mission trip in such a short time period. Honestly (for many reasons) I believe that this opportunity was meant for me & I wouldn't change the circumstances for anything! I am very thankful to be sharing this whole opportunity with my best friend from highschool, Judi. Not only is is great to travel somewhere new with someone you know, I think its comforting to me, as well as my family that she will be by my side. Most of you probably don't know Judi & I's full friendship story, but we both were involved in a car accident with a tractor trailer truck on our spring break senior year of highschool. That experience in itself has resulted in a unique & meaningful bond that we will always share, we have realized that we escaped death that day (April 7, 2003- will never forget the date) & we are both truly lucky to be alive!

We are meant to be here for some reason. I truly believe that my reason of still being here on this earth is to serve & help others; as a nurse I know I help others everyday, but I still want something more, something more fulfilling. I want to travel to a community that is in desperate need of our help, to a place where children do not have the luxury of runing water or access to advanced healthcare; to a school/orphanage where most of the children do not know their parents because they have passed from HIV/AIDS. The HUMBLE School in Mukono, Uganda is the perfect place for me to go on my first mission trip & I look forward this life-changing experience.

Lastly, I want to thank all my family/friends & my amazing boyfriend Zach for all their continued support during this whirlwind journey; without all your kindness, prayers & donations this trip would not be possible!!! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment