Monday, July 23, 2012

Oh to be a celebrity

So, this week's guest blogger totally dropped the ball :-S sigh, but next weeks blogger is already scheduled, after that well we need more guest bloggers! Which makes me think.......

I am a reality TV junkie.....FACT. And tonight was yet another disappointing conclusion to the 1800th season of bachelor(ette). I do think that Emily picked the right guy for her, I just wish one time they would pick the person I would pick....but on the other hand I am clearly not a fantastic 'picker', anywho to the point....

Jef Holm has a company called People Water. The idea is selling clean water to those who can afford it to help those who cannot. My heart permanently residing in Africa means that access to clean drinking water (among other things) is near and dear to my heart. I had never heard of People Water until Jef Holm appeared on this season of the Bachelorette and if the bachelorette brought me to their blog for the first time, I am certain I was not the only one. Outside of the whole 'who doesn't want to fing true love' thing, I would love to go on a show like that simply because of the platform it would provide for me to talk about water, and malaria, and education, and maternal mortality rates and all of the other issues that are so easily overlooked when they are an ocean away.

We were stuck in traffic, this adorable boy and his father got off the bus
to ask if I could help pay his school fees 

These are three random villagers swimming nudy in the water source
the water above is but into this "filtration system"

I think about the students at HUMBLE and I think of all of the children who want to go to school but do not get the chance like the little boy I met sitting in traffic on our first day in Kampala. I just keep thinking if I could get an audience, if I could entice people to listen then now only would I be able to help not only the students at HUMBLE but I would be able to build more schools, help more people. As much as it bothers me that people need a ploy to care about something I care so much about, I'll drink the proverbial kool-aid because I've seen how effective merely having an audience is, and at this point, an audience is all I need.

And with that, I wish the best of luck to Jef and Emily and I am elated (and jealous) that his love has brought such an important issue into the hearts of minds of people who are in a position to help so much by offering so little. If you read this blog (there are about 4 of you ;-P) and you are not familiar with People water PLEASE visit their website People Water and their blog

1 comment:

  1. AND as if to provide a perfect example as to the platform celebrity provides that would so help these children AND many more...peoplewater.com crashed after "After the Rose"

    ReplyDelete